What is Creosote and Why is it Dangerous?

If you’re the owner of an indoor gas fireplace or an indoor wood burning fireplace in your Summit County home, you should be aware of the dangers of creosote. Creosote is a chemical compound that builds up in the flue and chimney. Without annual fireplace inspections and cleanings, creosote will increase and expand, evolving from stage one to stages two and three. 

Creosote production is a result of fireside smoke mixing with moisture and cool air at the top of the chimney. This causes the smoke to solidify and stick to the sides of the flue. As the creosote builds up, it restricts airflow in the chimney, which speeds up the process of creosote production. Most homes that utilize their fireplaces will have stage one creosote in their flues, which can easily be removed during a fireplace cleaning. Creosote that is in stages two and three is much harder to remove and requires professional services before it becomes a fire and health hazard. 

If you’re getting a gas fireplace installation in Summit County, ask your expert Croft Fireplace technician about the best creosote removal methods. Contact us today with any questions.